Thursday, February 16, 2006

No recent posts? What gives?

Well, I've been neglecting you, my blogosphere fan club (zero members, but we think there might be some luck getting the NSA to wiretap Sonic Event soon!).

I'd like to think that I had a good reason - writing a paper for a conference. The problem is that I procrastinated and had to stay up all night to write the paper before last week's "preview" to the campus and so I've been a bad boy. But now that I'm at the conference, I can take this opportunity to say how rapidly evolving this technology is. I'm sitting in a bar in a random hotel in Murfreesboro, TN, having a beer and writing this entry.

That's right - through wireless technology, I'm able to stay in contact regardless of my actual physical location in space. Almost all of the legitimate readers of the blog know each other, and know that one of us is in San Francisco, I'm (usually) in Minnesota, a gaggle is in Washington DC, and one is even in Amsterdam/Utrecht.

But none of that matters one whit. This media - the blogosphere and internet - makes physical location completely moot. This past weekend, I participated in a 50 hour marathon trivia contest. Members of our team were located in two different cities in Minnesota, at Notre Dame, Chicago, Long Island (Stony Brook)....and the contest itself just happened to be "centered" in my new home city. One team had members in Thailand!

When you add in the flat-ness that technology like cell phones (no long distance), our world really shrinks to an unbelievable degree.

So why did it take me all day to get to Tennessee today??

;-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are getting closer...I'm in The Hague.

2/18/2006 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Counter