Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Gamelan Mitra Kusuma

I occasionally perform with a Balinese-style Gamelan Gong Kebyar from Washington DC - Gamelan Mitra Kusuma, which loosely translates to the Flowering Friendship Orchestra. I've uploaded a short clip from a recent performance in Chicago of the song Kebyar Terompong, with feature dancer and musician Pak Ngurah Kertayuda. It was a great concert and I hope to get a grant to study Gamelan in Bali this summer!

Terompong is the name of the instrument that you see in front of the group. It is constructed of horizontally mounted gongs and is usually played by one musician, and tends to play the melody. A similar instrument, the Reyong, is played by four musicians and elaborates the melody with an interlocking pattern.

2 Comments:

Blogger hazzy said...

It reminds me of a taape I had years ago called "Indonesian Music." I copied it from a SCSU music prof. It was mellower than this, not as much going on sonically. I once took one of those "Indonesian" songs and copied it on to my 4-track, then I copied the music on Guitars, etc and erased the original song. It turned out pretty cool.

12/07/2006 12:45 AM  
Blogger hazzy said...

It reminds me of a tape I had years ago called "Indonesian Music." I copied it from a SCSU music prof. It was mellower than this, not as much going on sonically. I once took one of those "Indonesian" songs and copied it on to my 4-track, then I copied the music on Guitars, etc and erased the original song. It turned out pretty cool. That must be cool as hell to be able to play in that kind of group.

12/07/2006 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Counter